A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac under the skin
filled with a cheese-like or oily, semi-solid material called sebum.
Sebum is produced by sebaceous glands of the epidermis. A foul odor
is also often present in the substance called keratin which fills
sebaceous cysts. Keratin is a protein that creates the sac of cells
called sebaceous cysts. The bumps or lumps that can feel under the
skin are actually the sac of cells.
Sebaceous cyst arises due to the blockage of the sebaceous gland.
It occurs anywhere in the body except sole and palm.
CAUSE of Sebaceous cysts
• Blocked sebaceous glands.
• Swollen hair follicles.
• Excessive testosterone production.
• Skin trauma.
• Hereditary causes of sebaceous cysts include Gardner's syndrome,
and basal cell nevus syndrome.
Small lumps or bumps that occur just under the skin of the vagina,
genitalia, breast, abdomen, face, neck, or elsewhere on the body
are the most common symptom of sebaceous cysts.
SYMPTOMS of Sebaceous cysts
• Usually painless.
• Pain if infected.
• Increased temperature of the skin over the bumps or lumps.
• Greyish white, cheesy, foul smelling material draining from
the bump or lump.
• Mild to severe pruritus, with scrotal lesions.
• Single or multiple nodules.
• Slowly increasing in size.
• Dome shaped.
• Well defined.
• Flesh coloured.
• Firm, malleable (elastic).
• Movable, but attached to skin by remains of duct of sebaceous
• Size: 0.5-5 cm. in diameter.
• Central pore which represents opening of follicle.
• Opening is marked by dark punctum.
• Contains cheesy whitish material.
• Sebaceous cysts are usually easily diagnosed clinically.
In some cases, a biopsy may be necessary to rule out other conditions
with a similar appearance.
• These cysts may occasionally become infected and form painful
• The cysts may return after they are surgically removed.
• Puncture & expression of contents.
• If recurrence, excision of cyst including sac.
Homeopathy Treatment & Homeopathic Remedies for Sebacious
• Baryta carb.
• Heper sulph.
• Kali hydr.